Dr. Seuss, The Panacea.
Dr. Seuss, The Magnificent.
Dr. Seuss, The Wonderful.
One Fish, Two Fish
Red Fish, Blue Fish
This one is the one I read to my children most often, I think. Although I doubt that they even remember it.
All the Dr. Seuss books. Like jewels in a handmade crown of jelly kisses and peanut butter hugs and …
As an adult I saw this post out in the internet … from www.mamiverse.com … Thirty Dr. Seuss sayings that will melt your heart and inspire … or rather … that will Change Your Life.
<The Inner Cynic checks in>
A bit late, no?
I’m not a child after all, I’m an adult … more or less.
1. Today you are you, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is You-er than You.
And who else would I be … seriously?
2. Don’t cry because it’s over. Smile because it happened.
Except that you have to go through a whole boatload of crying because it’s over before you get to the point where you can smile because it happened.
3. Why fit in when you were born to stand out?
An admirable statement, as long as the world would stop yelling “fit in, fit in”. Especially difficult when you are a child.
4. Today was good, Today was fun. Tomorrow is another one.
Obviously said by someone who wasn’t here today.
5. You’ll miss the best things if you keep your eyes shut.
You’ll also miss all the worst things if you keep your eyes shut.
6. Think and wonder. Wonder and think.
And before you know it, you will be my age with nothing but a lot of wondering and thinking done.
7. Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So get on your way.
And this is supposed to inspire me … how?
9. Think! You can think any think that you wish.
Which of course begs the answer to the age-old question … wish in one hand, $#!% in the other. Which one fills up first?
10. If you never did, you should. These things are fun and fun is good.
Tell that to my ex-husband … and to all my ex-es of any kind for that matter.
11. You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.
But steering and arriving are two very different things.
12. You are you. Now isn’t that pleasant?
No. Some days that is not pleasant. Some days that is downright depressing. I am the inner cynic after all.
13. Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple.
But more often the questions are impossible, and the answers are unanswerable.
14. It is better to know how to learn than to know.
Unless, of course, you are in a critical life-threatening situation. Then knowing is probably a whole lot better than knowing how to learn.
15. Everything stinks till its finished.
And sometimes even then.
16. The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go.
Unless you don’t have money … then you will just know more that you are stuck where you are.
17. A person’s a person, no matter how small.
But a person that’s bigger has more clout, that’s all.
18. I meant what I said and I said what I meant.
“An elephant’s faithful, one hundred percent.” Okay, how many examples of how this is false would you like?
19. Only you can control your future.
… if your name is God.
20. Be awesome! Be a book nut!
Be carried away by the guys in the white coats!
21. Be who you are and say what you mean. Because those who mind don’t matter, and those who matter don’t mind.
First part … fine. Second part … not so much.
22. Oh the things your can find if you don’t stay behind.
… but the things you can get once the others have left.
23. It’s opener, out there, in the wide, open air.
… but its safer in here sometimes than it is out there.
24. Teeth are always in style.
… hello? Old person here. Lots of my friends would agree they are in style. And they have the best store-bought ones to prove it.
25. Today I shall behave, as if this is the day I will be remembered.
But more than likely I will be remembered for the day I didn’t behave.
26. Will you succeed? Yes you will indeed! Ninety-eight and three-quarters percent guaranteed.
It’s that other one-and-one-quarter percent that sinks you.
27. From there to here, and here to there, funny things are everywhere.
OK. I can’t hardly argue with this one. Most of my blog entries are made from funny things everywhere.
28. Step with care and great tact. And remember that life’s a great balancing act.
Tact … tact … I know I have heard that word somewhere.
29. Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It’s not.
And even if someone like you cares a whole awful lot, sometimes nothing gets better anyway.
30. You’re on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who’ll decide where to go.
But I’m not a child, I’m all grown up and tall.
And things don’t work out like I’ve wanted … at all.
The things that I’ve wanted have had complications.
And people make choices that come with citations.
The easy stuffs easy, the harder stuff harder.
And sometimes stuff can’t even start with a starter.
I am on my own, that is truer than true.
And choices are hard, even harder to do.
I’d like to believe there’s a nice happy ending.
I’ll be here still waiting … if you are there sending.
But I’m not holding my breath.
<The Inner Cynic has left the building>